Saturday, May 10, 2008

Meet me in Montauk...

Since my teens, I have had some bizarre sleep/wake experiences. I recall one morning back in High School, having woken up from a dream where I saw Bill Clinton assassinated. As I was getting ready for school I put on the television to see what the news was saying about the event. Nothing.

I walked to school with one foot in dreamland, seeing the event play out in my mind. I was convinced it had happened in real life. I walked into my first period class and sat down at the desk in front of my History teacher.

"Did Bill Clinton get assassinated last night?" I asked. He looked at me like I had ten heads.

" he didn't." Oddly, he didn't ask where this idea had come from. I think he'd known me long enough to know that my brain was doing some strange things of late and this was just part of the process.

As I mentioned the other day on my post about my five-year marriage, I remember very little of that time. It's like I was in a some kind of amnesiac stupor. Due to the Chronic Fatigue/Fibromyalgia stuff, I was sleeping a lot. Sometimes seventeen or eighteen hours a day. And even when I was awake, I felt out of my body. The day of my wedding was a particularly out-of-body day. I have occasional foggy flashes of what transpired, but overall it's a blur. Can you imagine having a wedding day that you barely remember?

To this day, there are conversations people tell me we had during those five years that I cannot recall. If I was there, I definitely wasn't awake.

On certain occasions, I've even been able to dream myself awake. I usually turn off my phone when I go to sleep at night so I can wake up on my own without being interrupted awake. A few days ago though, I'd left my phone on for an important call. When the call came, I was knee deep in a very vivid dream, the details of which I won't go into here (not sure blogspot is wired for erotica). I could hear the phone ringing in my dream and reached out to grab my dream phone and answer it. I said hello and no one responded. Instead the phone just kept ringing.

At that point, I realized that it was the phone in real life that was ringing. The dream conversation went something like this:

Awake me: "Okay, the phone is ringing in real life. You have to wake up to answer it."

Dream me: "You have to wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Answer the phone."

It took about five real time rings before I could snap myself out of the dream and answer the phone. Bizarre.

I have done some research into lucid dreaming and I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to move about in my dreams more consciously. I've heard of people who coordinate their dreams, even arranging to meet at various locations as a group. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the three pound universe is vast.

tall penguin


Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again (this is ex-jw from You might get a kick out of this book I just finished. The writer toured the world to try and experience as many varieties of human consciousness as possible. It has a really interesting chapter on lucid dreaming. It's awesomely technical without being too technical.

tall penguin said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've looked at the book a number of times at the bookstore where I work and thought it would be an interesting journey.

Thanks for reading here. :)